This week we worked on enabling full onion routing for the Session open group server and file server (taking over from proxy requests). We also did a system-wide review of push notifications and finished some improvements to closed groups on iOS and Desktop. The Lokinet team continued working on exit nodes, focusing on authentication and required DNS records. The Loki Core team continued to work on Pulse, which is heading into its final stages before it gets applied to the testnet, and also finished replacing some parts of the epee library.
- Replace epee HTTP client to improve RPC calls https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1200
- Cherry picked wallet related improvements https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1199
If you’re on our Discord you can catch Jeff, the lead developer of LLARP, live streaming as he codes at https://www.twitch.tv/uguu25519. He typically streams on Tuesday mornings, 9am – 12pm Eastern (US) time.
What went on last week with Lokinet: We finished off the Lokinet peer testing code (subject to final review) and continued to work on exit node authentication, for which we plan to make available a simple Python script showing how someone could build a custom authentication system. We’re also working on refining the scripts for activating exit mode in the Lokinet client. Finally we started work on implementing DNS SRV records for SNApps and service nodes: these are records used by various internet protocols that let you look up the hostname and port offering a service from a domain name, without needing your users to worry about a subdomain or port number.
Lokinet PR Activity:
- Peer stats followup improvements/fixes to the lokinet<->loki-core peer stats code https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/1318 and https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1198
- [LokiMQ] fix for sending containers of message parts – https://github.com/loki-project/loki-mq/pull/12
- [PyLokiMQ] Python wrapper for communicating with LokiMQ remotes from Python (WIP – no public repository yet).
- [WIP] Support for SRV DNS records for service nodes and SNApps (no PR yet).
- Fix push notification bug https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/233
- Various localisation updated https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/234
- Onion requests for Session File Server and Session open group server https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/232
- Unused code purge https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/231
- French translation fixes https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/230
- Friend request removal from iOS https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/228
- Full list of commits can be found here https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/commits/dev
- Translation fixes https://github.com/loki-project/session-android/pull/266 , https://github.com/loki-project/session-android/pull/261
- Full list of commits can be found here https://github.com/loki-project/session-android/commits/dev
- Ensure control messages are properly ignored in push notifications https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1284
- Integration test fixes https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1287
- Closed group refactor https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1280
- Tigger and handle block contacts https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1277
- Enable onion routing on Loki file server https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1286 , https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1285
- Linter fixes https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1283 , https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1282
- Emoji changes https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1278
- Fix build release command https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1275
- Improve unhandled promise error logging https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1274
- Mark secondary conversations properly https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1273
Session push notification server
- Fixed some issues which were causing PN unreliability https://github.com/loki-project/session-push-notification-server/pull/3