This week we worked hard developing features for a number of upcoming releases, including finally nailing down some issues which have drastically increased the stability of Lokinet, adding lots of new UX features to Loki Messenger, and the continued testing of Service Node checkpointing for Loki core. If you like releases, September is going to be an exciting month with lots of new tools for users to test and play with!
- Add storage server reachability field; test it with quorums: https://github.com/loki-project/loki/pull/820.
- Make get_checkpoints_range faster by using LMDB cursor as iterator: https://github.com/loki-project/loki/pull/819.
- Update testnet and stagenet seed nodes: https://github.com/loki-project/loki/pull/818.
- Update transaction fees to appropriately mitigate spam attacks in preparation for next release: https://github.com/loki-project/loki/pull/816.
If you’re on our Discord you can catch Jeff, the lead developer of LLARP, live streaming as he codes at https://www.twitch.tv/uguu25519. He typically streams on Tuesday mornings, 9am – 12pm Eastern (US) time.
What went on last week with Lokinet:
After implementing the new wire protocol to replace libutp, we’ve seen a significant improvement to the performance and stability of Lokinet. We’re now putting the final touches on for a public 0.5.0 release.
- New wire protocol: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/783.
- Various minor fixes to shadow, build systems: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/784, https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/785, https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/786.
- Reduce excessively verbose logging: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/788.
- Improve path building behaviour: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/789.
- Fix timeout hook not being called properly: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/792.
- Reduce router CPU usage: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/796.
Loki Messenger Desktop
- Add QR code display to desktop devices: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/461.
- Simplify local profiles: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/453.
- Lower PoW difficulty on testing clients and add export to build-release yarn call: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/462.
- Save the last retrieved message for public chats on the conversation: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/460.
- Fix loading during registration: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/459.
- Move initialisation of public and RSS conversations to fix early load: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/458.
- [multi-device] Share primary device profile name upon secondary registration: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/457.
- [multi-device] Secondary registration UX changes: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/456.
- Support deleting messages in public chats: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/455.
- [multi-device] Shorten TTL for message pairing requests: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/454.
- Fix feed reader for single element results: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/449.
- [Public Authentication] Add identity token retrieval functions to public chat API: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/448.
- [Public Authentication] Authenticate sending: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/447.
- [Public Authentication] Add crypto helpers and public errors: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/446.
- [Public Authentication] Add database tables and helper functions for public server Authentication: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/445.
- [multi-device] Format message details to show secondary pubkey properly: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/443.
- [multi-device] Change Signal outgoing messages to support multiple pubkeys: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/441.
- [multi-device] Display incoming messages in the primary device conversation: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/440.
- [multi-device] Prevent showing inbox if secondary registration is ongoing: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger/pull/439.
Loki Storage Server
- Book-keeping of storage server reachability and auto reporting to lokid for node that fail reachability tests: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-storage-server/pull/268.
- Periodically ping other storage servers: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-storage-server/pull/265.
Loki Messenger for Mobile (iOS and Android)
What went on last week with Loki Messenger:
Loki Messenger for Android and iOS continues to be brought in line with the latest features on desktop. We’re gearing up for a new release which will publish these new features to beta testers.
Loki Messenger iOS
- Support for RSS style update feeds, initially from the Loki team: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger-ios/pull/41.
- Message deletion for group chats: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger-ios/pull/40.
- Refactoring of message deletion: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger-ios/pull/44.
- Allow user to initiate deletion request: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger-ios/pull/43.
Loki Messenger Android
- Localisation changes: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger-android/pull/17.
- Add support for RSS style update feeds: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-messenger-android/pull/16.