This week we’ve started to make real progress towards Pulse, including adding support for larger quorum sides and working on the validation rules for Pulse. The Session team finished some changes required to make interoperability work with the upcoming desktop update. The Lokinet team continued working on DNS caching and exit nodes.
- Validate blocks in Pulse https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1177
- Add support for N = 11 and N = 12 Quourm sizes https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1178
- Remove extra blob hash which is unnecessary in Loki https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1176
- Remove old build systems https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1174
- Huge C++17 code modernization PR https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1179
If you’re on our Discord you can catch Jeff, the lead developer of LLARP, live streaming as he codes at https://www.twitch.tv/uguu25519. He typically streams on Tuesday mornings, 9am – 12pm Eastern (US) time.
What went on last week with Lokinet: More work on exit-via-snapp functionality and service node testing. One major new feature we added over the past week was a DNS lookup cache so that if you are using exit nodes (or even if you aren’t!) Lokinet’s built-in DNS server will cache non-Lokinet DNS queries. This should make the exit experience noticeably better because, without it, every repeated DNS query had to connect to clearnet internet DNS servers; now these results get cached and returned immediately which should improve the user experience of using exits.
We’re currently working on adding authentication protocol messages along with a sample Python authentication server that an exit provider could use or adapt to fit their existing infrastructure.
Lokinet PR Activity:
- Add libunbound dependency to lokinet for handling upstream (non-lokinet) DNS requests (https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/1307)
- Add a full static build mode for static binaries (adapted from loki-core’s PR to do the same last week) (https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/1310)
- Automatically create and upload Windows builds with every commit/PR (https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/1278)
- Use a .zip file for Windows binaries because a .tar.xz would probably scare them too much (https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/1311)
- Various updates to new LokiMQ support; this replaces libcurl, libabyss, and greatly simplifies the internal thread pool with LokiMQ’s job support (and is also required to talk to a local 8.x lokid service node daemon) (https://github.com/loki-project/loki-network/pull/1306)
- Various service-node-testing updates plus code testing for the node testing (yeah, I said it) (no PR yet).
- Backwards compatibility changes for upcoming desktop upgrades https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/216
- Threading cleanup https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/pull/214
- Full list of commits can be found here https://github.com/loki-project/session-ios/commits/master
- Changes to open group chat history and avatars https://github.com/loki-project/session-android/pull/234
- Unify mention styling https://github.com/loki-project/session-android/pull/237
- Full list of commits can be found here https://github.com/loki-project/session-android/commits/dev and here https://github.com/loki-project/session-android-service/commits/dev
- Split test utils into smaller files https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1184
- Hook sending to the new message sending pipeline https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1183
- Fix incorrect conversation ID being shown for open groups https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1186
- Fix message queue tests https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1185
- Add ByteBuffer module https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1182
- Add multi-device protocol tests https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1180
- Change back to old Windows syntax and add a stubbing method https://github.com/loki-project/session-desktop/pull/1179
Session open group server
- Unit tests for open group server https://github.com/loki-project/session-open-group-server/pull/44