Weekly Dev Update #73

Hey Y’all, 

This week we made big progress on Lokinet and Loki Messenger. On the Loki Messenger side, we are putting most of our efforts into finishing multi-device support, which means solving lots of edge cases. For Lokinet, we are getting closer and closer to a 0.6.0 release which will allow cryptographic operations to utilise multithreading, and iron out a number of bugs found in 0.5.2. 

Loki Core


Lokinet

If you’re on our Discord you can catch Jeff, the lead developer of LLARP, live streaming as he codes at https://www.twitch.tv/uguu25519. He typically streams on Tuesday mornings, 9am – 12pm Eastern (US) time.

What went on last week with Lokinet: 

There was an increase in the public use of the Lokinet testnet this week. While we were encouraged to see the network being tested by real users, it’s important to remind the community that the current Lokinet release is still a testing, beta release!  Some things will change (i.e. break) between now and the final release on the Loki mainnet — most notably, protocol, private and public key cryptography has already changed in the dev branch and will result in (unavoidable) new keys and .loki addresses in 0.6.  We have our eyes set on a final, mainnet release but there may be additional, backwards-incompatible changes between now and then.

This week saw lots of activity, fixes, and improvements in the Lokinet dev branch, heading towards a 0.6 release. We have decided to clean up Lokinet internals by removing the home-grown JSON RPC HTTP server with a simpler JSON-over-zmq based approach. There were also various improvements to the debs (especially for routers), and we included several changes to make things work on xenial, while de-vendoring Libsodium in preference to the local system’s Libsodium library.

PR Activity:


Loki Messenger for Desktop 


Loki Messenger for Mobile (iOS and Android)

Loki Messenger for iOS:

Loki Messenger for Android:


Thanks,  

Kee